Approaches to reading
Developing a love of reading, and the importance of this for our children both now and in the future, lies at the heart of our English curriculum. At Glebe, we aim to develop a love and appreciation of reading which will stay with children for life. We hope to achieve this through careful planning and teaching using up-to-date strategies. We aim to use a range of reading materials and resources within Literacy lessons, guided reading, independent reading sessions and home reading.
It is our aim to allow children the opportunity:
• To experience reading in a variety of situations so that it becomes a pleasurable & productive experience.
• To access a wide range of print materials, including all genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, plays & pupils own writing.
• To progress to becoming selective in their choice of reading materials.
• To be knowledgeable about the purpose and organisation of books.
• To nurture a love of reading.
• To learn to read through a variety of methods.
• To read to themselves or to others (peers and adults)
• To read to a variety of audiences and to hear adults and children read to them.
• To read regularly and to develop a respect for books.
• To receive reading provision and support appropriate to individual ability.
• To become aware of the link between reading and writing.
• To use ICT to further the development and love of reading.
Useful Free Phonics Websites
Please talk to your child’s class teacher to find out which phonics phase your child is being taught so that you know which games are appropriate.